WHEREAS, Tennessee Code Annotated, Sections 40-36-101 and following, provides for a community based alternative to incarceration for certain offenders; and,
WHEREAS, state funds have been provided for distribution to selected participating counties in order to develop this program; and,
WHEREAS, counties must establish a local Community Corrections Advisory Board, according to the specifications established in the Act, in order to qualify for funding under the Act; and,
WHEREAS, ____________ County recognizes the value of such a program;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of County Commissioners of __________ County meeting in _______________ session, this ____ day of ___________________, 20___, that:
SECTION 1. There is hereby established a local Community Corrections Advisory Board for __________ County, as authorized by Tennessee Code Annotated, Sections 40-36-201 and following. Such Board shall have twelve (12) members. The membership shall be as follows:
- 1. A representative of county government nominated by the county executive and confirmed by the county legislative body. The member so appointed is _________________________________.
2. The Sheriff of __________ County, ___________________.
3. The District Attorney General of the ________ judicial district, ____________.
4. A criminal defense attorney residing in __________ County, nominated by the presiding judge of the ________ judicial district, and confirmed by the county legislative body. The member so appointed is _________________.
5. A representative of a non-profit human service agency, nominated by the county executive and the other board members who serve by virtue of their elected office and confirmed by the county legislative body. The member so appointed is ________________________________.
6. A state probation officer assigned to work in __________ County, nominated by the Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Correction and confirmed by the county legislative body. The member so appointed is _________________.
7. A state parole officer assigned to work in __________ County, nominated by the executive director of the Board of Paroles and confirmed by the county legislative body. The member so appointed is __________________.
8. At least three (3) private citizens residing in __________ County, nominated by the county executive and other board members who serve by virtue of their elected office and confirmed by the county legislative body. If any city in __________ County participates, a citizen member shall be nominated by the mayor and confirmed by the council. The members so appointed are ____________________________, _________________________, and _____________________________.
SECTION 2. The sheriff and district attorney general shall serve on the board during their terms of office. In order to provide staggered terms of the board, the positions on the board identified as the county government representative, the judge of the court of general jurisdiction exercising criminal jurisdiction, the criminal defense attorney, the probation officer, and one private citizen representative shall be initially appointed to a term of three years, and thereafter to terms of two years. The remaining members of the board shall be appointed for a term of two years. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as original appointments for any unexpired term. Members of the board may be reappointed to the board in accordance with the procedures set forth in Section 1.
The citizen member appointed for a three (3) year term is ________________________.
SECTION 3. The Board established by this Resolution shall have all powers, duties and responsibilities established in the "Tennessee Community Corrections Act of 1985," found in Tennessee Code Annotated, Sections 40-36-201 and following. The Board is authorized to employ, supervise and/or terminate the Board's staff, who are deemed county employees. Authorization to hire staff is limited to available funds for such purpose, whether locally appropriated or obtained from the State of Tennessee, or from grants or any other source.
SECTION 4. As provided in the Act, the Board created by this Resolution shall receive an orientation developed and conducted by the county with the assistance of the Department of Correction within thirty (30) days after the last initial appointment to the board is made.
SECTION 5. This Resolution shall become effective upon its passage and shall be made a part of the official record of this meeting. The clerk shall forward a certified copy of this Resolution to the Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Correction.
Approved this ______ day of _______________________, 20___.