It is generally necessary for employers to establish, publicize, and enforce anti-harassment policies and complaint procedures. At a minimum, the policy should contain:
- A clear explanation of prohibited conduct;
- Assurance that employees who make complaints or provide information related to such complaints will be protected against retaliation;
- A clearly described complaint process that provides accessible avenues of complaint;
- Assurance that the employer will protect the confidentiality of harassment complaints to the extent possible;
- A complaint process that provides a prompt, thorough and impartial investigation; and
- Assurance that the employer will take immediate and appropriate corrective action when it determines that harassment has occurred.