The county board of education must hold regular meetings at least quarterly, although the chair may call special meetings. T.C.A. § 49-2-202. All business coming before the county school board must be passed by a majority of the membership of the school board and not just a majority of the quorum. T.C.A. § 49-2-202(g).
County boards of education may allow a member to attend a scheduled board meeting by by electronic means if the member is absent due to work, family emergency, or military service, as long as the following requirements are met:
- a quorum is physically present at the meeting
- the absent board member can be visually identified by the chair
- the absent member gives at least 5 days' notice prior to the meeting
- no board member can participate electronically more than twice in a year (except military service)
- the board has a policy in place for conducting electronic meetings
T.C.A. § 49-2-203.
A board member having a relative employed by the board is required to declare the relationship before voting on any matter that affects the employment of the relative, certifying that the vote about to be cast is in the best interest of the school system.. T.C.A. § 49-2-202(a)(3).