The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently announced additional $25.5 billion in relief funds for healthcare providers (and suppliers) to help with expenses and lost revenues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. EMS agencies can apply for these funds beginning on September 29, 2021. The $25.5 billion is comprised of two initiatives:
- $8.5 billion under the American Rescue Plan (ARP) for providers who serve rural and underserved patients;
- $17 billion for all providers under the Provider Relief Fund (PRF) - Phase 4 of the PRF.
Details About the Funds
- Time Period: Phase 4 funds PRF will reimburse providers for lost revenues and expenditures between July 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
- Bonus Payments for Smaller Providers. Smaller providers will be reimbursed for lost revenues and COVID-19 expenses at a higher rate than larger providers.
- Bonus Payments for Needs Based Populations. There are also bonus payments for agencies who serve lower- income patients, and patients with complex medical needs.
The Application Process
- Single Application. Providers will apply for both the ARP and PRF funds in one application.
- Eligibility. HRSA will use existing Medicaid, CHIP and Medicare claims data in calculating payment amounts.
- Open Date. The application portal will open on September 29, 2021.
For more information about eligibility, and information needed to complete an application, visit the HRSA website.