• Legal Services: CTAS lawyers respond to questions and issue written legal opinions. These attorneys also author many CTAS publications, draft and review legislative proposals, monitor General Assembly action, and compile the Private Acts of each county.
• Finance: CTAS offers assistance in every aspect of county government finance, accounting, budgeting, purchasing, investing, compensation, benefits, debt management, insurance, and risk management.
• Highway Maintenance: CTAS helps highway departments prepare certifications of county road revenues, develop and maintain computerized road lists, analyze project costing and inventory management, and develop bid specifications for needed equipment.
• Law Enforcement: Sheriffs across Tennessee turn to the CTAS criminal justice consultant for assistance in law enforcement, jail management, and employee training.
• Information Technology: CTAS information technology & regional consultants assess needs and advise county officials on specifications, bidding, installation, training, and data processing operations. They also help trouble-shoot when counties encounter technical issues and help train county office staff members to use computers.
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS): CTAS GIS consultants offer services to help counties use this new data management tool. Through knowledge of software, hardware, and programs throughout the state, consultants offer advice and assistance to counties creating and learning to use a Geographic Information System.
• Solid Waste: CTAS solid waste management consultants provide information on recycling, solid waste collection, and landfill management. This work has become more important as counties cope with an increased number of state and federal environmental regulations.
• Statistical research and analysis: The CTAS consultant for statistical research provides up-to-date analysis of county revenues and expenditures, debt capabilities, state shared taxes, state appropriations, school funding and BEP and other related financial matters pertaining to the operation of county governments.
• Training: CTAS training staff administer the County Officials Certificate Training Program (COCTP), provide specialized training when needed or requested and provide just-in-time training on hot topics and informational sessions on topics of interest to county officials.
• Publication: CTAS is an information clearinghouse on every facet of county government. Major publications include:
Directory of Tennessee County Officials
County Revenue Manual
County Records Manual
County Property Tax Manual
Legal Aspects of Personnel Management
Tennessee County Government Handbook